My research focuses on issues related to social identity, stereotypes, prejudice, and discrimination. I explore how attitudes and beliefs about self and social groups operate outside of conscious awareness or control. For example, some of my work reveals that ethnic minorities (African, Asian, Latino, or Native Americans) are implicitly conceived of as being less American than White/European Americans. I am also investigating the influence of socio-cultural realities on the implicit academic self-concept of underrepresented groups. Finally, I conduct research on emotional responses occurring in intergroup contexts.
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Adams, V.H., Devos, T., Rivera, L.M., Smith, H., & Vega, L. (in press). Teaching about implicit prejudices and stereotypes: A pedagogical demonstration. Teaching of Psychology.
- Huynh, Q.-L., Devos, T., & Altman, H. (in press). Boundaries of American identity: Relations between ethnic group prototypicality and policy attitudes. Political Psychology.
- Huynh, Q.-L., Devos, T., & Goldberg, R. (2013). The role of ethnic and national identifications in perceived discrimination for Asian Americans: Toward a better understanding of the buffering effect of group identifications on psychological distress. Asian American Journal of Psychology. Advance online publication. DOI: 10.1037/a0031601
- Devos, T., & Ma, D.S. (2013). How “American” is Barack Obama? The role of national identity in a historic bid for the White House. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 43, 214-226.
- Jones, K., & Devos, T. (2013). Gay men’s implicit attitudes towards sexual orientation: Disentangling the role of socio-cultural influences and social identification. Psychology & Sexuality. Advance online publication. DOI:10.1080/19419899.2013.790320
- Ma, D.S., & Devos, T. (2013). Every heart beats true, for the red, white, and blue: National identity predicts voter support. Analyses of Social Issues and Public Policy. Advance online publication. DOI: 10.1111/asap.12025
- Huynh, Q.-L., Devos, T., & Dunbar, C.M. (2012). The psychological costs of painless but recurring experiences of racial discrimination. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, 18, 26-34.
- Morselli, D., Spini, D., & Devos, T. (2012). Human values and trust in institutions across countries: A multilevel test of Schwartz’s hypothesis of structural equivalence. Survey Research Methods, 6, 49-60.
- Huynh, Q.-L., Devos, T., & Smalarz, L. (2011). Perpetual foreigner in one’s own land: Potential implications for identity and psychological adjustment. Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, 30, 133-162.
- Devos, T., Gavin, K., & Quintana, F. (2010). Say “Adios” to the American Dream: The interplay between ethnic and national identity among Latino and Caucasian Americans. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, 16, 37-49.
- Rydell, R.J., Hamilton, D.L., & Devos, T. (2010). Now they are American, now they are not: Valence as a determinant of the inclusion of African Americans in the American identity. Social Cognition, 28, 161-179.
- Devos, T., & Heng, L. (2009). Whites are granted the American identity more swiftly than Asians: Disentangling the role of automatic and controlled processes. Social Psychology, 40, 192-201.
- Devos, T., Blanco, K., Rico, F., & Dunn, R. (2008). The role of parenthood and college education in the self-concept of college students: Explicit and implicit assessments of gendered aspirations. Sex Roles, 59, 214-228.
- Devos, T., & Ma, D. (2008). Is Kate Winslet more American than Lucy Liu? The impact of construal processes on the implicit ascription of a national identity. British Journal of Social Psychology, 47, 191-215.
- Devos, T., & Banaji, M. R. (2005). American = White? Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 88, 447-466.
- Devos, T. (2013). Stereotypes and intergroup attitudes. In F.T.L. Leong, L., Comas-Diaz, G.N., Hall, V., McLoyd, & J., Trimble, APA handbook of multicultural psychology: Theory and research (Vol. 1). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Devos, T. (2011). The role of race in American politics: Lessons learned from the 2008 presidential election. In G.S. Parks, & M.W. Hughey (Eds.), The Obamas and a (post) racial America (pp. 218-242). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Devos, T., & Doise, W. (2012). Identity and interdependence: For a social psychology of the European Union. In A.S. de Rosa (Ed.), Social representations in the “social arena” (pp. 200-209). London: Routledge.
- Devos, T., & Vu, T.L. (in press). Implicit multicultural identities. In V. Benet-Martínez & Y.-Y. Hong, Handbook of multicultural identity: Basic and applied perspectives. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
- Devos, T., Huynh, Q.-L., & Banaji, M.R. (2012). Implicit self and identity. In M.R. Leary & J.P. Tangney (Eds.), Handbook of self and identity (2nd ed., pp. 155-179). New York: Guilford.
- Prejudice and Stereotypes
- Psychology and Culture
- Social Psychology
Department of Psychology
San Diego State University
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182-4611
- Phone: (619) 594-6911
- Fax: (619) 594-1332